Last weekend I had the pleasure of doing a three hour amazing Instagram Live interview with one of my favorite creative friends Amarla. Amarla is a powerfully inspiring photographer and has built such a beautiful brand through her love of the creative community. We both talked about how not fitting into the Western standards of beauty pushed us to be creative and helped us find our sense of identity. This conversation really go me thinking that I want to do more to inspire and help others who feel like black sheep or feel the need to be creative but don’t know where to start or don’t feel they know how to create a presence.
With Amarla championing and encouraging me, I decided to start an Instagram account solely dedicated to sharing my photography, art direction, and content creation secrets @secretswithasha . My hope is to help empower you to create amazing content with very simple tools and tricks that you already have.
As you may or may not know, I have a very small budget and shoot all of my photos using my iphone 7, a tripod and a bluetooth remote. Now, I realize I am very lucky even to have a smartphone to be able to shoot, and I realize that there are a lot of creative who might not be able to afford one. My point though is that there are lots of everyday tools from a phone in your hand, to locations in your backyard to vintage clothes in your Mom’s closet that can transform your content into amazing artful work. If you are struggling with how to create beautiful visual work or a cohesive Instagram feed please follow @secretswithasha because I am very passionate about connecting and empowering you.
To kick start and celebrate Secrets with Asha, I have an exclusive challenge for you!
You have two weeks to create new content using my five basic smartphone photography principles (listed here and below). Once you have your completed images tag #pullanasha by October 30th and DM me with which tips you used.
I will be picking the best photo to feature on my new account with a highlight about who you are and what you do as a creative or blogger. And exciting bonus – I will be sending the winner their own brand new version of the dress that I am wearing in this photo by Shein Official. GET SHOOTING loves and SHARE with your creative friends!!
ASHA’S BASIC PHOTOGRAPHY PRINCIPLES:
We all have such a clear, defined idea of what personal style means to us, and it is such a personal thing that you have to experiment enough to know what that is for you and your personality.
The art is in finding a way to channel it.
It’s taken me so long to truly cultivate my aesthetic and it’s important to note that it’s always a work in progress. Always changing and evolving as my life is changing and evolving! It all starts with a strong statement and a deep understanding of what it is you’re trying to communicate, what you’re truly passionate about.
For me my favorite tool to use to communicate my passion for creativity, connection and beauty is my iphone. Here are some of my basic principles for getting great images on your phone that truly match your aesthetic and vision.
1. Always use the back camera on your iPhone which has a much higher quality camera than the front facing camera.
2. Use portrait mode it you have it!! – Turn on HDR for more details in your shots!
3. Use strong negative space that points your viewer to your single figure. People always look at people, so creating space helps draw the viewer to your subject!
4. Use pretty natural light- I love shooting an hour or two before sunset. Have your subject face light that isn’t too harsh to get luminosity. Backlit photos when done right always give a dreamy quality that I love as well!
5. Make sure you really think about background and location before your shoot so that your feed remind cohesive! Find color contrast!!! If you are trying to showcase certain fashion pieces or makeup find a background that will contrast and make the details of what you wear POP!! Be aware though – if you are wearing red I would really stay away from a green background.
- SMARTPHONE PHOTOS ONLY
- YOU MUST TAG #PULLANASHA TO ENTER YOUR PHOTO
- MULTIPLE ENTRIES ALLOWED
- INTERNATIONAL ENTRIES ALLOWED
- MUST FOLLOW @SECRETSWITHASHA
- DEADLINE 5PM PST OCT. 30th